This is the 8th Annual Wine Industry Workshop organized by Exkalibur University, the education affiliate of The Exkalibur Organization and Exkalibur.com, with the support of our Wine Industry Sponsors.
The Wine Industry Workshop is focused on presenting practical business strategies to help you achieve superior performance in your wine business … an annual tradition dedicated to helping you become a More Effective Leader and Build a Successful Business.
As you know, great wine from great grapes is rarely enough to build and sustain a profitable and successful wine business. There are many other factors that contribute to a successful wine business, which is what we seek to address in every one of our Wine Industry Workshops.
Our mission is to help you navigate these waters and to share with you Best Practices adopted by successful wine businesses.
Click here for our list of speakers.
Table of Contents
- Who Will Benefit?
- Who Has Attended?
- Our Wine Industry Sponsors
- Event Location & Details
- Register Now to Begin your Journey
- This Year’s Program
- What Will We Cover?
- Contact the Exkalibur Team
Who Will Benefit?
The Wine Industry Workshop benefits every winery executive, across all of its important functions. It also benefits other companies whose success is synchronous with the success of wineries, including growers, bottlers, negotiants and related agricultural companies.
Who Has Attended?
The Wine Industry Workshop has averaged approximately 100 attendees for its annual events. Our Workshop Guests have included CEOs and other C-Suite executives as well as managers from sales, marketing, operations, vineyard management, finance and accounting, HR and general administrative functions.
We have hosted senior executives and managers from such wineries and related companies as Peter Michael, Trinchero Family Estates, Duckhorn Wine Company, Cakebread Cellars, Trefethen Family Vineyards, C. Mondavi and Sons, Jackson Family Wines, Francis Ford Coppola Presents, Silver Oak Cellars, Diageo Chateau & Estate Wines, Black Dog Ranch, Paul Hobbs Winery, Black Knight Vineyards, Lambert Bridge, Napa Valley Reserve, Kachina Winery, Merryvale Vineyards, Dos Lagos Vineyard, DaVero Farms & Winery, Markham Vineyard, Enkidu Wine, V2 Wine Group, Saxon Brown Wines, Halleck Vineyard, Orin Swift Wine Cellars, Lasseter Family Winery, Iron Horse Vineyards, Dutton Ranch, Bacchus Vineyard Management, V Sattui Winery … and many others.
Our Wine Industry Sponsors are committed to Your Success
I have been fortunate to work closely with each of Our Sponsors over many years, and am continually impressed by their commitment to serving their clients and community and to helping their clients and colleagues build more successful businesses.
All of us are genuinely interested in helping you advance your wine industry knowledge and learn practical tools and best practices you can immediately put to work in your wine-related business.
Event Location & Details
This was an invitation-only event for the clients and guests of our Sponsors.
If you registered as a guest of one of our Sponsors, you were added to our Wine Industry Workshop mailing list and will receive all of the relevant workshop materials. It’s an easy way for us to communicate.
The information, below, is for your convenient reference:
Date: Friday, November 30, 2018
Time: 7:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Food: Continental Breakfast & Lunch
Location: Near the Santa Rosa airport (Details to be provided upon registration.)
Below, you will find a current summary of the topics that we will cover in this Workshop.
In all cases, we encourage an active conversation among the panelists and the audience, and will reserve plenty of time for your questions.
1. The Latest Tax & Accounting Changes for Wineries & Growers
Industry experts from Moss Adams will provide important updates that impact the Wine Industry:
- Potential business tax-saving opportunities provided by the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA).
- The discussion will address the tax reform impact on Tangible Assets, including
- Bonus Depreciation,
- New 179 Expense Limits, and
- Qualifying Property and Cost Segregation.
- The discussion will address the tax reform impact on Tangible Assets, including
- They will also share how wineries can plan for Revenue Recognition & Lease Accounting changes.
The discussion will also include an update on what’s been learned since the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) became effective on January 1, 2018.
- Jeff Gutsch, Partner, National Practice Leader, Wine Industry; Moss Adams, LLP
- Jennifer Rabanal, CPA, Partner, Moss Adams LLP
- Aaron Tompkins, CPA, Senior Manager, Moss Adams LLP
- Rae Paulson, CPA, Senior Manager, Moss Adams LLP
2. What’s Mother Nature Got to do with It?
In the wake of the tragic fires that struck in wine country last year, along with earthquake and other unexpected challenges from Mother Nature in recent years, it’s an ideal time to share what’s been learned, what gaps have appeared in insurance coverage and what wineries are doing to be prepared for Mother Nature’s next tantrum.
- What gaps have been uncovered in Business Interruption and other forms of coverage?
- If your power is turned off to protect the area, does your insurance program cover any losses?
- If there is no physical loss to your property, but a natural disaster keeps people away from your winery, are you covered for any losses?
- If there is smoke taint on your grapes and the scheduled buyer refuses to complete the sale, is your loss covered?
- What preventive measures are wineries taking to deal with unexpected interruptions from Mother Nature?
- What can you expect from crop insurance? What isn’t covered and how can you protect yourself.
Get the answers to these and other Critical Risk Management strategies for 2018!
- Liz Bishop, Managing SVP, Heffernan Insurance Brokers
- Debra Costa, SVP, Heffernan Insurance Brokers
- Tony LeBlanc, General Manager, Silver Oak & Twomey Cellars
3. What is My Digital Marketing Strategy?
What are the keys to developing Strategies, Tactics and Actions Plans for a successful Digital Marketing Strategy?
Our panel will touch on brand strategy but will focus on what you should do when your Brand Anthem is clear.
- Who is your customer?
- What is required to make your website relevant, mobile and action-focused?
- How can you make it easy for your customer to find you?
- What is the right technology to handle POS, Email Campaigns, linking Visitation Sites and hosting a meaningful CRM system?
Our panel discussion will focus on SPECIFIC, CONCRETE AND ACTIONABLE the steps you can take to develop realistic strategies, viable tactics and an implementation plan to help you connect to more customers in the digital arena.
- Mark Evans, President, Triumph Advisers
- Stephanie Peachey, Vice President of DTC & Brand Strategy, Kosta Browne Winery
- Peter Andres, Principal, WineWorks
4. How Do I Accelerate Sales in the DTC Channel?
With 9,600 wineries and over 150,000 different wines available, selling your wine is increasingly difficult.
We will tap the knowledge and expertise of proven industry veterans to offer some innovative steps and describe some of the opportunities available in various channels to sell more wine.
- Violet Grgich, President, Grgich Hills Estate
- Stephanie Wycoff, Estate Director, Seghesio Family Vineyards
5. Is the Recruiting & Hiring Model Broken?
Join one of the industry’s leading executive recruiters who will lead our panel to tackle this extremely timely topic for wine companies of all sizes.
Based on real-world client experiences, our panel will shed light on a multitude of mistakes being made by many organizations in their recruiting and hiring processes and what can be done to “fix” those shortcomings. They will discuss many of the innovative strategies and techniques to improve your success with attracting and retaining management and senior management level talent.
- David Newlin, President, Newlin Associates
- Nicole Cummings, PHR, Human Resources Director, Cakebread Cellars
Contact the Exkalibur Team for any reason
Please don’t hesitate to reach out to the Exkalibur Team if you need assistance for any reason.
You can reach our Business Manager, Deborah Harlow at Deborah@Exkalibur.com; 888–351–8880, x 3. I promise she will respond promptly to your inquiry.
You may also reach me directly at Lary@Exkalibur.com or 888–351–8880, x1.
Please let us know if we can be helpful to you in any way.
All the best,